So this whole blog thing?
It's harder than it seems.
Especially when life is moving a thousand kilometers a minute and it's all I can do to catch my breath. Let alone pause long enough to write, to articulate this madness into words and sentences--to crystalize some meaning from it all.
But I am going to try, I have to.
I've never been that person who always has something to say and share with the class. Not that I don't have opinions and observations, they just take up comfortable residence in the labyrinth of my mind rather than going about their business in the open. But it's getting crowded in there, so it's time to clear out.
Bear with me beloved readers, it's going to be a long road.
I've waited too long for a good beginning so I'm just going to start in the middle with a poem composed as a collage and synthesis of my experiences here in Israel. It is difficult to make sense of this place, but this is a start. Every morning the light looks new and things are different, full of fresh paradoxes for my infinite consideration.
صباح النور
I look into dark eyes
in the dark faces
of dark old men
and I see what they have seen:
hate
malice
anger
war.
But the Sun shines on
sand sticks between toes
and sea salt bakes into olive skin
The air is filled with noise
to banish the beast of silence that
boils under the surface.
this monster of
reality.
pain
defeat
pride.
On a silent reverent street
cars cease--the air is heavy with the
repentant cries of a Nation.
But here,
Bottles crash, shouting burns through the stillness
insults bolt from mouths
and pierce hearts.
But coffee is shared in the morning.
The hot sun bakes the desert dry
and when it sinks defeated into the sea,
there is tea to welcome the moon
and mask the ugliness of the light.
reading this was a sort of culmination-- of everything we've prayed for and everything i've personally hoped for-- for you. emma, you breathe life into dead words, and you give Emptiness a name. thank you so much for blogging (finally). i'm here with you, laughing through my tears, cheering you on in this raw and truly beautiful journey.
ReplyDeletecheers,
meredith
girrl. it's about time you blogged. blogging is like therapy you know? like mbd said, life is sometimes made with words. experiences and lessons learned are nothing without the words that bring them alive.
ReplyDeleteYOU"RE DOING GREAT THINGS OVER THERE.
plus you have a beach 25 minutes away from you so if there is stress.....#clubbeach <3
rock on :)